Hi everyone! I am so thrilled to be part of the Ontario Teen Book Fest’s official Blog Tour again for the second year in a row! Today, I am spotlighting one of the moderators of OTBF, B.T. Gottfred and his latest YA novel, “The Nerdy and the Dirty”. (I’ve also recently wrote a review for it, and you can check it out here!) But before that, let me tell you more about this fantastic event!
What: The Ontario Teen Book Fest is an annual book event that features over a dozen bestselling YA authors. It is a FREE and UNTICKETED event so feel free to invite all your friends! This year’s author lineup includes Julie Buxbaum, Romina Russell, Gretchen McNeil, Charlotte Huang, Sara Elizabeth Santana, and more! Check out the blog tour schedule after these event details to see a full list of which authors will be joining us this year!
When: Saturday March 25th, 9 am to 5 pm
Where: Colony High School 3850 E. Riverside Drive, Ontario, CA 91761
There will be books available for purchase at the event, as well as t-shirts and posters. You are more than welcome to bring books from home, but try to help support Once Upon A Time by purchasing a book or two from them.
Blog Tour Schedule
Today’s author spotlight is… B.T. Gottfred!
B. T. Gottfred is an author, playwright, and—ooh, look there, behind you . . . no, you’re right, never mind—director. His first-ish novel, “Forever for a Year”, was released July 2015 by Macmillan/Holt. His second-ish novel, “The Nerdy and The Dirty” arrives November 2016 from Mac/Holt.
Latest Book: “The Nerdy and the Dirty”
Pen Lupo is sick and tired of hiding who she is. On the outside, Pen is popular, quiet, and deferential to her boyfriend. On the inside, however, Pen is honest, opinionated—and not quite sure that she’s like other girls. Do they have urges like she does?
His classmates may consider him a nerd, but Benedict Pendleton knows he’s destined for great things. All he has to do is find a worthy girlfriend, and his social station will be secured. Sure, Benedict is different–but that’s what he likes about himself.
When fate intervenes, both Pen and Benedict end up at the same vacation resort for winter break. Despite their differences, the two are drawn together. But is there such a thing as happily ever after for a nympho and a nerd? (via Goodreads)
Add “The Nerdy and the Dirty” to your Goodreads!
Interview with B.T. Gottfred
- First of all, let me just say that “The Nerdy and the Dirty” was the most unique, honest, amusing, and real story I have read in a long time. Honestly, I was initially unsure if I would enjoy it because the characters were so different than what I’m accustomed to in most contemporary YA books. But now, after having read it, I can see that Penelope and Benedict are what give the story heart and their quirks are what make it feel so raw and genuine. How did you come up with such a story?
Brad: Well, thank you for those very kind words. I have characters constantly talking in my head. Slowly Benedict and Penelope rose to the top (by screaming the loudest) and only then did I realize the two of them would be great in a story together. Once I decided to unleash them onto the page, they more or less took over and I just tried to stay out of the way.
2. Were any of your characters inspired by real life people?
Brad: All the characters I write are inside me in some way and so all of them are aspects of myself, first and foremost. But Penelope in particular was inspired by someone from my past.
3. How did you decide that this book needed to be told in two alternating first person point of views?
Brad: At this point, I don’t know how I’d write a love story WITHOUT alternating. I need to feel and hear both sides to understand why they are falling in love.
4. While you were writing “The Nerdy and the Dirty”, were there any particular scenes that brought up strong emotions for you?
Brad: Certainly the intimate parts where they were both so honest and kind to each other. Also, when Penelope has a conversation at the end with the Priest it was very cathartic for Penelope and me.
5. Are you currently working on another book or project? If so, can you tell us a little bit about it?
Brad: My third book will come out a year from now. Just like Nerdy and Dirty and Forever for a Year, it will take place at Riverbend High School. It centers around the love story of a very masculine girl and a very feminine boy. ( Penelope and Benedict do have small roles;)
6. If you could co-write a book with any person in the world, alive or dead, who would you choose and why? What kind of book do you think you two would write?
Brad: I recently read Phoebe Gloeckner’s “Diary of a Teenage Girl” and fell in love with her writing, her artwork, and her characters so I’d love to combine minds with her for a project.
7. Is there a genre that you hope to write for one day that you haven’t yet?
Brad: I’m secretly a sci-fi fantasy guy so I’d love to try to bring my style to that world.
8. Since Ontario Teen Book Fest is a teens-centric event, if you could give your teenage self a message from your current self, what would it be?
Brad: Be nicer to yourself when you screw up and nicer to everyone because life is fucking hard 😉
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, Brad! And a huge thank you to Sara (What A Nerd Girl Says) for organizing this blog tour! Enjoy the rest of the tour and I’ll see you guys again soon!